Wednesday 20 November 2019

I know what you did last summer

The other day I was looking for an address in town so this being 2019 I googled it.  "You visited here on 6 May" popped up on my screen.  "Eh, what?".  I had never been to the place before, hence my needing to google where it was.  After clicking on the message I discovered there is this thing called Location History in Google where if you have it switched on (and apparently I did), it tracks all the places you have been.  If I clicked on a certain date, Google could show me where I had been at any given time on that date.  

This could be seen as a bit stalkery if I hadn't inadvertently already agreed to it.  It might come in handy some day I suppose.  You know those police dramas where they ask "where were you at 1.17 pm on June 24th?", well at least now I would be able to provide myself with an alibi.  

Even on the rare occasions when I click on the Terms & Conditions section with the intention of reading through it, there are so many conditions and clauses and subsections that I never end up finishing them and just click accept regardless.  Which is ultimately what they hope you will do.  

If we ever stopped and really thought about the access we give to apps and companies, we would probably never touch another piece of technology again. Instead we blithely choose to disregard this aspect of our interaction with our devices.  It is "the price we pay" to stay connected.

On a recent trip to Christchurch I spent the first day walking round the city centre.  As I didn't know where I was going, the map looks like a spider dipped her bum in some ink, had a couple of vodka shots and then wove a crazy web.

#everystepyoutake
#enoughwiththetsandcs
#allovertheplace








No comments:

Post a Comment