Wednesday 23 January 2019

Teenage Kicks

Mary's got a new job, she's working in the bank.....

If you know the next line to this song then chances are you were a teenager in Ireland in the early nineties.  I came across a box of old tapes recently and as luck would have it I still have an old boom box that can play tapes, which practically classifies it as an antique these days.  Teenage memories abounded as I cleaned bathrooms accompanied by the soundtrack to my youth.

In this modern world of skipping ahead to the song you want, I had forgotten how long it takes to rewind and fast forward.  The guess work of how long to let it run before checking if you were in the right spot.  How is it that I can't remember things that happened last week but I can remember the words to songs I haven't heard in literally decades?  Memories of nights out and concerts and road trips came flooding back.  Today I was physically in New Zealand but mentally I was back in Nijinsky's, The Ambassador, the road to Killarney before the motorway was built, summer time in Germany.  

This isn't a cassette tape, it's a time machine.




  

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I did a mindfulness course recently which focused on the present but it's fun to take a trip down memory lane every now and then.

      Delete