Monday 11 July 2016

Book Club

I am usually more of a fiction reader but lately I seem to be hitting up the non-fiction shelves.  Not sure if it's that the fiction I am reading is not really holding my attention or if I have just stumbled onto books whose topics interest me.  I always wondered at people who could read two books at once, probably because I presumed them both to be fiction.  Somehow at the moment I have three books on the go, which is very unlike me. 

When I was younger I always finished every book I started, even if I didn't particularly enjoy it, it was like a point of principle.  Then I realised that life is way too short for me to read all the books I actually want to read so why would I waste time on books that I didn't enjoy?  Now I'm pretty ruthless.  If a book is not grabbing me after the first few chapters, back down the library returns chute it goes.  I'm also a pretty accomplished skim reader (yes, yes the clouds tumbled overhead like mascara stained cotton balls, get on with it).

I'm thinking of starting a book club but need to settle on a few books I would like to read first.  At home I used to get my book wish list from reviews I would read in the weekend papers but the books that get reviewed in my local paper here rarely make it onto my wish list.  So I'm looking for recommendations.  What was the last good book you read? 

  

Talking about book clubs reminded me of something I saw recently on Waterford Whispers which cracked me up.  I do plan to read some books in book club, honestly!!

No comments:

Post a Comment