Saturday 16 July 2016

Lego

What is it about Lego that makes it so appealing to children and adults alike?  I was never a huge fan of the masses of plastic toys that seemed to multiply in my house when I had children.  I opted for wooden versions where possible and when it wasn't possible I went for toys with an off switch.  When it comes to Lego though, I am perfectly happy to have bucket loads of the stuff (preferably kept in their buckets and not strewn all over the floor).  Of course like most parents, I have cursed Lego from a great height when a sharp piece has become lodged in my bare foot but for the most part I am a big fan. 

We had Lego at home when I was a child and I suppose happy childhood memories drew me to the first set of chunky Duplo I bought for my own children.  As they grew we moved on to the smaller sized Lego and were lucky enough to inherit a large box to get us going.  Birthdays and Christmases have added to the collection.  While the box sets are always popular, the model on the box only seems to get made once or maybe twice before the bricks are consigned to the great big jumble of the Giant Lego Tub, never to be re-united in quite that configuration again. 

One of the main things I liked about Lego was that it was a toy for everyone.  It wasn't a girl toy or a boy toy, it was just a toy that anyone of any age could play with.  As a parent of one girl and one boy, it annoys me no end to see colour coded toy aisles and marketing campaigns aimed at forcing children and parents to think they need to have gender specific versions of toys.  Even before my son was born, I tended to opt for the non-pink version of toys for my daughter.  I have tried to encourage both kids to play with all the toys we have available and let them decide themselves what they like to play with. 

When Lego brought out the Friends pink & purple sets aimed primarily at girls I was so disappointed.  It just seemed like a really cynical marketing move.  I get that there presumably was a gap in the market as it seems to have been pretty successful but I just wish they had figured out a different way to do it.  Why should boys get the sets where they play with firefighters and superheroes when girls get the sets with the puppy grooming parlour and figures whose only job seems to be accessorising their outfits?  Even the Elves set is better as at least they are characters in their own world.

I point blank refuse to buy it, which sometimes makes me unpopular but it just grates to support such blatant segregation.  We do have some of the Friends stuff but only because my daughter was given it as presents (mostly from people who don't know me that well and have obviously not yet heard my anti pink Lego rant).  Perhaps that makes me a supporter by association but I'm not militant or rude enough to force my personal principles on others, particularly not in the middle of a small child's birthday party.  So for now I will continue my little boycott by refusing to buy the Friends sets and sneakily hiding all the pink blocks down the bottom of the tub....


No comments:

Post a Comment