Saturday 31 December 2016

December Book Review

The fault in our stars - John Green
I put this on my to read list so long ago that I had no idea what it was about by the time I picked it up in the library.  It was in the teen/young adult section which made me a) wary and b) question why I would have put it on my to read list.  Anyway it wasn't all teenage angst and "like" being every second word.  Not that I am one to talk.  I have been known to use an excessive number of likes on occasion, but I digress.  When I finished the book and looked back on the sad demise of one of the characters, it struck me that I hadn't been particularly affected by it, which made me wonder if I have become particularly heartless in my old age.  I think it was more that it seemed inevitable and having been braced for someone to die, it wasn't as huge a shock when someone did.  It was an easy enough read, didn't grab me enough for me to recommend it but I didn't dislike it either.

The casual vacancy - J.K Rowling
I have not read the Harry Potter books, partly because I am a grown up and partly because I have no interest in wizards/magic themed books.  I picked this up on a whim in my local bookshop figuring there must be some talent involved in writing such popular books.  I found it quite descriptive which I am not a huge fan of and the pace could have been a bit quicker for my liking.  That said, there were enough juicy little breadcrumbs dropped to keep me interested and wanting to finish it.  If I were to consider reading another of her books it would need to be a lot shorter with a livelier pace. 

Making it up as I go along - Marian Keyes
I love Marian Keyes.  She could write the phone book and I would still read it, she can do no wrong in my eyes.  I hear her voice when I read her books and though I have never met her, I feel like I know her.  Particularly so with this book as it is a series of articles and posts rather than a story.  Looking forward to her next book whenever it comes along. 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment