Sunday 10 January 2016

Bookworm

I love to read.  I don't do it as often as I would like to but I am my own worst enemy when it comes to time management and prioritising.  When I read a review of a book I like the sound of, I write the name and author into my diary with a view to picking it up when it has been published/next time I am in the library/book shop. 

At the start of the year I was transferring over birthdays and important dates from my old diary to my new one, when I came across my list of books from last year.  None of them had been crossed off as being read.  Now, its not like I didn't read any books last year.  I always have a book on the go, in fact I get a bit panicky if I am near the end of one book and don't have another one waiting to be read.  Yet somehow I have not managed to read any of the books on my not very long to be read list.  Not good, not good at all. 

Do I need more interesting books on my list or do I need to find ways to sneak more reading into my day?  I had a few misses with my choices of books last year.  I am learning not to be sucked in by the description "the new Jo Nesbo".  Several pretenders to the throne have drawn me in for a chapter or two only to disappoint and be rejected.  I tried to read The Luminaries but despite all the accolades, I struggled to wade through the vast and laborious descriptions and ultimately abandoned it halfway through.  Life is too short to read the books I want to read, why waste time on the books I don't enjoy. 

Here is my to be read list so far:

The girl in the spider's web - David Lagercrantz
I'm travelling alone - Samuel Bjork
The boy at the top of the mountain - John Boyne
The heart goes last - Margaret Atwood
The reader on the 6.27 - Jean-Paul Didierlaurant

So what was the best book you read in 2015 and what is on your hit list for 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment