Tuesday 26 April 2016

Limbo

I was talking to someone at the weekend who is living in limbo.  She needs to look for a job but plans to move to a different area so feels like there's not much point in going down that route while she is where she is but on the other hand, she has no idea when she will be in a position to move to where she plans to be.

When it comes to limbo, I can relate.  I have been in New Zealand almost 3 years now and I still feel like I'm in limbo.  Initially it was because we were living somewhere we did not plan to stay long term.  When we moved to the town we live in now it was because we were renting.  When we bought a house it was because it needed renovations.  When the renovations were complete (or as complete as they are likely to be for a while) it was because I wasn't working.  Now I am working, the house is sort of done, the kids have settled well at school so why do I still feel like I am in limbo?  Is it just a feeling that never goes away when you live in a country that you are not from and can't see yourself staying in forever?  Do I need to embrace my life here, pretend everything is as it should be, sort of fake it till you make it as it were?  I've decided to claim a piece of the house for myself, to make my own little area where rates bills, shopping lists and pieces of lego are not welcome.  Where I can stick up things I have ripped out of a magazine rather than leave them in a crumpled heap at the bottom of my handbag.  As steps forward go, it's a baby step I'll grant you but even the person with the longest stride started out taking baby steps.
 
 
 
 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment