Saturday 19 March 2016

Brooklyn

I went to see the film Brooklyn last night.  Big mistake.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great film but for the day after St. Patrick's Day it was too close to the bone for me.  The scene when she was on the boat with hundreds of others waving goodbye to their nearest and dearest, many of whom would never see each other again really got me.  Although it's obviously fiction, it's based on all the millions of families who went through the trauma of losing their loved ones to a life across the sea, like a death in the family without the closure.

And the phone call to her mother - I was in bits.  Sad and all as it was and despite the fact that I now know what happens, I am definitely adding this book to my to read list.  I find that film adaptations are generally not as good as the book and despite making for a heart wrenching Friday night, I did enjoy the film so the book can't fail to impress.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment