Thursday 17 March 2016

The wearing of the green

Today is the day that people all around the world, from the biggest cities to the smallest villages put on their green and celebrate all that it means to be Irish.  For some that means raising a glass of Guinness or some green concoction, for others it means thinking of long lost relatives who left all they knew behind to strike out for new horizons.  For me, although I am very far from home, it gives me a sense that I am not the only one, that there are other people just like me, wishing they were back home even just for this one day. 

To all my fellow Irish people who find themselves far from home on St Patrick's Day - wear your green with pride, put on your biggest smile and marvel at the fact that our tiny little country inspires people in places all over the world to come together to celebrate and paint the town green.

No comments:

Post a Comment