Saturday 26 March 2016

Get Up, Stand Up

I'm annoyed with myself.  I encountered something that really annoys me and I didn't say anything.  I was standing watching a group of young kids playing soccer (well running around in the vicinity of a ball would probably be a more accurate description).  There were other parents/interested parties also standing round forming a small group.  Two little boys were standing at the far end of the pitch chatting, completely oblivious to the game going on down the other end.  One of the adults remarked that the two boys seemed to be having a great time.  A man who regularly makes  racist/sexist/homophobic/generally offensive comments said "Well as long as they are not kissing" to which one of the fathers replied "If he was he would quickly feel my boot up his arse" (one of the little boys was his son).  This exchange annoyed me on several levels:

- Why would you automatically assume two five year old boys chatting would start kissing?
- What would it matter if they did?
- Why would you chose to kick your five year old son if they kissed another boy?
- Why didn't I stand up for what I believe in and call them out on their homophobic and frankly ridiculous conversation?

Part of why I didn't say anything is that I have a connection to the person who made the kissing remark.  I've had words with him on other subjects and it has made life decidedly awkward.  However I think that the main reason I didn't say anything is that I have a tendency to avoid confrontation.  I don't like to be the centre of attention or draw undue focus to myself.  You know how some people say their wedding day was the most special day of their life?  Well I found it quite disconcerting to have everyone focussed on me and my every move. 

It's not really a good enough excuse though is it?  If no one calls people on remarks like this is it giving the message that casual homophobia is ok?  It's not ok and I have resolved that next time I am in this sort of a situation (and unfortunately I don't think it will be long before it happens) that I will stand up and say something.    

   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment