Wednesday 9 October 2019

Book of the Year (so far)

I find it hard to remember what books I have read in a month, never mind a year and then to have to narrow down which were my favourites?  Goodreads to the rescue.  What should have been a quick scroll back through this year's books went on a few tangents so I could click on various books to jog my memory.  Usually an indication that it's not going to make the short list for best book if I can't even remember what it was about.

These were the ones that stood out for me this year*.  

Fiction
Normal People by Sally Rooney
You know when your friend is seeing someone that doesn't treat them well?  This is like awkwardly eavesdropping on their entire messed up relationship.  You feel like you shouldn't be listening but you can't help yourself.  I've just read another of her books, Conversations with Friends and really enjoyed it too. 


Non-Fiction
2040 by Damon Gameau
I liked how this book gave practical examples of how we can all do something to help slow down climate change.  He doesn't gloss over how bad things are but when I finished this book I felt hopeful rather than depressed.






  * These books weren't necessarily published in 2019, I just happened to read them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment