Friday 4 October 2019

Unexpected item in the bagging area

One of the many things I miss from Ireland is newspapers, or more specifically the weekend newspapers.  I never had the time or inclination to read a daily paper but I did like the weekend papers, even if it usually took me the full week to finish them.  Newspapers here just don't compare and reading the Irish papers online doesn't have the same appeal.  I especially like the Review section of the Saturday Independent.  It covers a good range of topics and introduces things I would not otherwise stumble upon in my everyday life.  

My parents kept a stash of Reviews for me to read when I was home in July but a combination of jet lag and late nights meant that I didn't have the brain capacity to read them then.  I brought them back with me and put them in my to read box.  I used to put my to read stash on the bookshelf in the sitting room but the pile would look at me reproachfully when I was in the throes of a Netflix binge so I moved it to a box under the side table where it was out of sight but close at hand.  

Yesterday I was dusting (a rare enough occurrence) and whilst giving the lid a wipe, I opened the box to see how much was in there.  The excitement!  I had totally forgotten about the Reviews.  So what if some of the stuff is old and the events have already happened.  There are book reviews galore, recommendations for shows that will hopefully make it to Netflix here and articles that help paint a picture of what Ireland is like beyond the front page headlines.  I am beside myself with the unexpectedness of it all.    





1 comment: