Wednesday 2 October 2019

Doppelganger

A while back I was in a shop I had never been in before, in a shopping centre I had never been in before, in a city three hours from where I live.  A woman came up to me and started chatting to me.  Like full on chatting as if she knew me.  After a moment's blind panic thinking, wait do I actually know this woman and I've just lost my mind, I realised that no, she was a complete stranger.  

I interrupted her gently and suggested that maybe she was mistaking me for someone else.  I figured my accent would quickly tip her off to the fact that I wasn't who she thought I was.  Apparently not.  She was adamant that we had met previously and my two daughters went to the same school as hers.  I explained that I only had one daughter and I lived in Rotorua not Auckland.  She didn't seem convinced.  

So if you are an Irish woman who lives in Auckland, has two daughters and looks like me and now the school gate Mums think you are rude because you won't talk to them in Sylvia Park, I do apologise.    




No comments:

Post a Comment